Vicarious trauma is similar to but distinctly different from burnout and countertransference. To treat and prevent vicarious trauma effectively, you must be able to distinguish between the three phenomena.
By Day 7
Assignment (2–3 pages):
- Explain the similarities and differences between vicarious trauma and burnout.
- Explain the similarities and differences between vicarious trauma and countertransference.
- Explain two implications vicarious trauma might have on helping professionals. Be specific.
- Explain one insight you had or conclusion you drew for each comparison. Be specific.
Harrison, R., & Westwood, M. (2009). Preventing vicarious traumatization of mental health therapists: Identifying protective practices. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 46(2), 203–219.
Morrissette, P. J. (2004). The pain of helping: Psychological injury of helping professionals. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis.
- Chapter 1, “Traumatology: An Overview”
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are required to provide a reference list using APA style, for all references used within your assignment.