ASSIGNMENT WILL BE CHECKED FOR PLAGIARISM SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL
Carefully read and post this assignment onto our Blackboard site using the SAFE ASSIGN link.
Answer the series of questions presented to you in the handout and specified below:
Get Out and Do # 5–Chapters 12-15 (Merchandise Management)
In this assignment, you will be comparing National Brands and Private Label (store, proprietary) brands.
(NOTE: If your retailer sells only their own brand, choose a national brand with which your store’s brand competes and compare according to the guidelines listed below. Indicate the national brand to which you are comparing. Victoria’s Secret, for example, competes with Macy’s Intimate Apparel Dept. which sells Bali, Playtex, Hanes, La Perla, etc.)
- Identify a National Brand and a Private Label brand carried by your retailer (see note above, if appropriate.)
- Compare the two competing products/collections along the following dimensions:
- Fashion trends: Similar? Different? How?
- Sizing specs and standards
- Fabrications, Materials: Same? Different? Explain
- Country of origin: Where are the two products manufactured?
- Pricing: Compare – which is higher? Which do you think represents greater profit potential? Include pricing for both ‘regular’ and ‘promotional’ efforts.
- Discuss the idea of National vs. Private Label products with an Associate in your store. (List the Associate’s job function.) Is there any identifiable difference between the target customer for the National Brand and the target customer for the Private Label brand? Explain.
- Discuss the overall pros and cons of National Brands vs. Private Label brands and how these distinctions impact your retailer’s overall strategy.