Part 1: Using the internet, search for commercial IDPS systems. What classification systems and descriptions are used and how can these be used to compare the features and components of each IDPS? Create a comparison spreadsheet identifying the classification systems you find.
Part 2: What are some of the legal and ethical issues surrounding the use of intrusion detection systems logs and other technology tools as evidence in criminal and legal matters?
Part 3: Write a 2 – 3 page APA style paper summarizing the background, description, and purpose of NIST Special Publication 800-94, Guide to Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems. The last section of your paper should be titled “Author Reflection” and should reflect your critique of the publication examined. You are not expected to read the entire guide, you should be mainly concerned with section two of the report, titled “Intrusion Detection and Prevention Principles” and section three of the report, titled “IDPS Technologies.”
1. Why is it so important in system engineering to become familiar with some of the analytical methods?
2. Identify and describe some of the technologies that are being applied in the design process. Provide some examples of typical applications, and describe some of the benefits associated with the application of computerized methods in the design process.
3. How does CAM and CAS relate to system engineering? Describe some possible impacts.
4. How is design review and evaluation accomplished? Why is it important relative to meeting system engineering objectives? Describe some of the checks and balances in the design process.
5. What is included in the establishment of a “functional” baseline, Allocated baseline, and Product baseline? Why is baseline management important?
6. What is configuration management (CM) and how does it relate to system engineering? Define Configuration Identification (CI) and Configuration Status Accounting (CSA).
Part 5: Select a system of your choice, and construct a sequential flow diagram of the overall system development process. Identify the major tasks in system development, and develop a plan/schedule of formal design review. Briefly describe what is covered in each.
Part 6: Discuss some of the problems associated with the application of computerized methods in the design process. Provide examples. What cautions must be observed?