Select a movie from AFIâ€™s 10 Top 10 (Links to an external site.) lists and explain how three cinematic techniques and/or design elements have helped establish a major theme in that film. Note: While you are allowed to choose a film that does not come from the AFI lists, you are strongly encouraged to email your professor to receive approval before doing so.
In 800 to 1200 words
- Describe a major theme of the movie you have selected using evidence from the movie itself as well as course resources and other scholarly sources to support your position.
- Identify at least three techniques (cinematography, lighting, acting style, or direction) and/or design elements (set design, costuming, or hair and makeup), and explain how these techniques and/or design elements contribute to the establishment of the theme. Reference particular scenes or sequences in your explanations.
- State your opinion regarding the mise en scÃ¨ne, including
- How the elements work together.
- How congruent the design elements are with the theme of the movie.
- Whether or not other techniques would be as effective (Explain your reasoning).