Write two 75-word essays. Pick one topic from items 1-6 and one from items 7-12. APA style.
1. What is the Flynn effect and how can it be used to support or refute the impact of genes and the environment on intelligence?
2. Describe Howard Gardnerâ€™s conceptualization of intelligence.
3. Describe the three components of Sternbergâ€™s triarchic theory of intelligence. Then discuss the fourth element (a type of intelligence) that he added in recent years.
4. How are giftedness and intellectual disability defined? What is that predicted outcome for a child identified in either of these categories?
5. How is IQ related to occupational success and health in adulthood?
6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of Gardner’s and Sternberg’s theories? What shortcomings in earlier theories does Sternberg’s idea of successful intelligence address?
7. Describe the linguistic concepts of phonemes, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, prosody, and word segmentation.
8. How does language development progress from cooing until the production of holophrases?
9. What are the characteristics of child-directed speech, and how does its use enhance or inhibit the acquisition of language?
10. What are the advantages and disadvantages of preschool education programs and media enhancement materials like â€œBaby Einstein?â€ What would be the ideal characteristics of a quality preschool program?
11. Describe the key processes involved in learning to read (including the alphabetic principle and emergent literacy)? How can schools best promote effective reading?
12. How are mastery orientation, mastery/learning goals, and performance goals related?