Another way to make sure we understand a text is to spend some time talking about it. Please respond the the questions below. There aren’t really wrong answers here. I am looking to see that you read the text, worked to understand it and thought about the main points and ideas.
- In his essay, Gladwell tells us about two concepts, strong ties and weak ties, and he contrasts them. What are strong ties and weak ties, and how do they differ? Use one of Gladwellâ€™s examples to explain this distinction in your own words.
- Pay attention to the ways Gladwellâ€™s use of those terms (strong/weak ties) helps him build his own analysis of the relationship between social media and revolution. What connections does he establish between social media and the idea of revolution?
- Gladwell claims that networks are very different from hierarchies. Why does Gladwell think this difference matters when it comes to social media and social change? What do you think about the difference?
- How does Stone respond to Gladwell? Point out specific points of comparison/discussion?
- Overall, whose argument do you agree with more (Gladwell or Stone), and why?