For this weekâ€™s assignment, you will continue to expand your transcription capabilities by transcribing five sentences from one of the audio clips below, each of which is an example of a famous piece of oratory, into the International Phonetic Alphabet. The goal of this assignment is not to transcribe the words as they would be in standard English orthography, but rather the sounds of these words (how youhear them) and how we represent them with the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. I Have a Dream Speech
- Winston S. Churchill: We Shall Fight on the Beaches (Speech to Parliament, June 4th, 1940)
- Maya Angelou – Just Do Right
This paper must include
- English transcriptions of four sentences from your chosen speech, as well as their IPA transcriptions.
- One to two pages of writing in which you discuss the speech patterns and/or dialect of the speaker, noting why you chose the particular work of oratory. Does knowing the historical, cultural, and/or biographical context of the speech and speaker help you in determining the significance of speech patterns?
The Audio Transcription assignment
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of assignment
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center