- African Policy Information Center. (1997, November). Talking about â€œtribeâ€: Moving from stereotypes to analysis. Background Paper 010, 1-8. Retrieved from http://kora.matrix.msu.edu/files/50/304/32-130-153D-84-Background_Paper_010_opt.pdf
- This article discusses the issues with using the word â€œtribeâ€ when discussing African civilizations and societies.
- Asia for Educators. (n.d.). Excerpts from the treaty of Nanjing, August 1842. Retrieved from http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/ps/china/nanjing.pdf
- This article provides excerpts from and questions about the Treaty of Nanjing.
- BBC Radio 4. (Producer). (2007). The opium wars [Episode in radio show]. In In Our Time. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00776k9
- In this radio program, Yangwen Zheng, Lecturer in Modern Chinese History at the University of Manchester, Lars Laamann, Research Fellow in Chinese History at the SOAS, University of London, and Xun Zhou, Research Fellow in History at SOAS, University of London discuss the Opium Wars.
- Downing, T. (Producer). (1988). The Luddites [Video]. Retrieved from the Films On Demand database.
- This video is about the craftsmen who resisted the changes brought about by the Industrial Revolution.
- Fassnacht, M. (2014). Resource sharing assignment job aid. College of Liberal Arts, Ashford University, San Diego, CA.
- This resource offers guidance in successfully completing the Resource Sharing Assignment.
- MIT Visualizing Cultures. (2011). The first opium war: The Anglo-Chinese war of 1839 â€“ 1842. Retrieved from http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/21f/21f.027/opium_wars_01/ow1_essay01.html
- This resource provides a virtual exhibition on the Opium Wars.
- TianXIaWeiGong. (2007, August 7). The opium war [Video]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWzeZ5sNxmk
- This video is about the Opium War.
- Watts, P. (2013, June 2). Field of dreams: A remarkable exhibition sheds new light on the dark history of the opium business. The Independent. Retrieved from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/field-of-dreams-a-remarkable-exhibition-sheds-new-light-on-the-dark-history-of-the-opium-business-8636861.html
- This article discusses the long-term historical impact of the Opium Wars.
- Thompson, E. P. (1993). Time, work-discipline and industrial capitalism. In Customs in Commons. Retrieved from https://libcom.org/library/time-work-discipline-industrial-capitalism-e-p-thompson
- This chapter describes the impact that the Industrial Revolution had on the human perception of time and work.
Topic B: Industrial Revolution and Imperialism
What economic and technological changes occurred during the Industrial Revolution? What changes did the middle class experience as a result of the Industrial Revolution? What changes did the working class experience as a result of the revolution? How did the revolution impact other parts of the world? What improved as a result of the revolution? What got worse?