Research a selected local, national, or global nonprofit organization or government agency to determine how it contributes to public health and safety improvements, promotes equal opportunity, and improves the quality of life within the community. Submit your findings in a 3-5 page report.
Many organizations work to better local and global communities’ quality of life and promote health and safety in times of crisis. As public health and safety advocates, nurses must be cognizant of how such organizations help certain populations. As change agents, nurses must be aware of factors that impact the organization and the services that it offers. Familiarity with these organizations enables the nurse to offer assistance as a volunteer and source of referral.
This assessment provides an opportunity for you gain insight into the mission, vision, and operations of a community services organization of interest.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze health risks and health care needs among distinct populations.
- Explain how an organizationâ€™s work impacts the health and/or safety needs of a local community.
- Competency 2: Propose health promotion strategies to improve the health of populations.
- Explain how an organizationâ€™s mission and vision enable it to contribute to public health and safety improvements.
- Competency 3: Evaluate health policies, based on their ability to achieve desired outcomes.
- Assess the impact of funding sources, policy, and legislation on an organizationâ€™s provision of services.
- Competency 4: Integrate principles of social justice in community health interventions.
- Evaluate an organizationâ€™s ability to promote equal opportunity and improve the quality of life within a community.
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication strategies to lead health promotion and improve population health.
- Write clearly and concisely in a logically coherent and appropriate form and style.
Note: Complete the assessments in this course in the order in which they are presented.
Assume you are interested in expanding your role as a nurse and are considering working in an area where you can help to promote equal opportunity and improve the quality of life within the local or global community. You are aware of the work of several nonprofit organizations and government agencies whose work contributes to this effort in some way. You have particular interest in one of these organizations but would like to know more about how it contributes to public health and safety improvements. In addition, you would like to report the results of your research in a scholarly paper that you could submit for publication.
To prepare for the assessment, you are encouraged to complete the Healthy People 2020 in Action activity. Then, choose the organization or agency you are most interested in researching:
- American Heart Association.
- World Heart Federation.
- Peace Corps.
- American Red Cross.
- Habitat for Humanity.
- United Way.
- Doctors Without Borders.
- The Salvation Army.
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS).