Part 1 2-3 paragraphs
Introduction to Child Abuse
The goal of Juvenile Court is to balance the best interests of the child with the claim of parental rights. Parents have a right to direct the upbringing of their children, including the right to exclude others from that function. They also have procedural rights to contest custody, visitation, and adoption. But the assertion of any of these rights may conflict with the child’s best interests.
In 2-3 paragraphs, using your own words respond to the following:
- Define the best interest of the child standard.
- What are the legal categories considered by the course for abuse and neglect?
- List three factors or standards the court may use to determine what is in the best interest of a child.
- Which factors are more difficult than others for the course to determine?
- When responding to peers, consider the factors they provided. Which of these factors are the most important to consider? Do you agree that those are difficult factors to identify? Post a response that suggests how that factor can be determined by providing an example.
Part 2 300-500 words
Introduction to Ethics
You are a supervising chemical dependency counselor at an intensive treatment facility in your state. In this role, you facilitate group sessions, individual counseling sessions, and family therapy sessions for alcohol and substance abuse clients and their families. In addition to the above-described direct treatment, you also supervise several other counselors in this residential program.
Your manager has asked you to put together an in-service for the new chemical dependency counselors that will be reporting to you as the supervising chemical dependency counselor. She wants the focus of the in-service to be on ethics. Because these counselors are new to the profession, she believes that it is essential to start their entry into the profession with a clear understanding of the ethical standards of this profession.
This will be the first in-service that you create and administer, so your manager wants to make sure that you are well-versed in the ethical standards that govern this profession. She decides that she wants to test your knowledge before you begin preparing your in-service. As such, the first step in your in-service project is to prepare a memo to your supervisor in which you answer the following questions:
- According to the class materials, textbooks, and resources, what is your definition on the following questions: What is ethics? What are morals? What are values?
- Compare and contrast ethics, morals, and values.
- Explain how ethics, morals, and values interrelate.
- Why is ethics essential to the chemical dependency counselor?
- What internal and external factors motivate chemical dependency counselors to behave ethically?
The following is an example of what should be included in your memo heading:
To: Manager of treatment facility
From: Supervising counselor
Subject: Ethical standards
As the first step in creating the in-service for the new CD counselors, you have asked me to prepare this memo answering some basic questions about ethics for CD counselors. Specifically, you have asked that I answer the following questions. I will list each question and its answer for your review. Please let me know after reading this memo, if there are additional questions you have or additional information you need.