HIPPA COVERED ENTITIES
HIPPA has various components known as titles; one of these governs the privacy of protected health information (PHI). The Department of Health and Human Services provides consumers with information via the Internet on privacy rights and laws. This information is provided in the form of fact sheets and publications.
Go to the Web site for HIPPA privacy information at www.hhs.gov (Links to an external site.) . Click on “A-Z index” (upper right side of screen), find HIPPA and click to access information about the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and other information related to individual privacy rights. Click on the understanding HIPAA link and answer the following questions.
1. What three types of covered entities are specified in the HIPPA privacy rule?
2. What is PHI?
3. As a patient do you have the right to access your health information, can there be restrictions placed on your access.
4. If you disagree with information contained in your medical record, what can you do about it?
5. What is the Notice of Privacy? Have you ever been asked to sign one?
6. Give an example, when information from you medical record can be released, without your permission.
Next click on Administrative Simplification Statue Rule and then click on Transactions and Code Set Standards.
1. What are the 5 code sets approved by HIPAA?
2. How are these code set used in health insurance billing.