During the Renaissance period, there was an evolution of scientific and artistic innovation. Renaissance artists found new techniques and materials. They are also known for using symbols in their paintings to communicate meaning.
Select 1 work of art from the following list. Copy the image directly to the DB area, and add the artist’s name, title of the artwork, materials used, and the year created.
- Jan Van Eyck, The Arnolfini Wedding Portrait, 1434
- Leonardo da Vinci, The Last Supper, 1495–1498
- Michelangelo, The Last Judgement, 1535–1541
- Sandro Botticelli, Primavera, 1482
Respond to the following:
- Define the words symbol and innovation.
- Identify 1 symbol that you see in the Renaissance work of art, and explain the meaning of that symbol.
- Find symbolism that you encounter every day in your environment, and explain why it is similar or different.
- Identify 1 innovative material or technique used in the painting. Find a new innovation (scientific, medical, technical, educational, artistic, business, or other), and explain how it will benefit the future of society.