It is estimated that hiring organizations only spend 90 seconds scanning a resume before determining whether it’s worth looking at further. As such the successful job applicant must make sure their resumes are designed to fit the job for which they are applying. “One size fits all” is no longer applicable to resumes. Bland and general also no longer apply as the information in resumes must be written using action verbs, and identify accomplishments and achievements rather than simply describe previously held positions and responsibilities.
There are three basic types of resumes:
- Chronological, and
- Mixed (hybrid)
Oftentimes, CVs (curriculum vitaes) may be required.
The purpose for each type of resume, how they differ, and when you personally would use each type or resume or CV (prepare a separate paragraph describing each and how you would use each).
- Identify the primary type of resume and/or CV you expect to use in your job search and career progression.
- Explain how often a resume and/or CV should be updated (support your answer).
- Choose 1 or 2:
- If you have a resume and/or CV, are you comfortable with the format and the information contained within it? If not, when do you think you should start revising and preparing your resume and/or CV?
- If you don’t currently have a resume and/or CV, explain why. Then identify at what point you should start drafting and preparing a resume and/or CV for your eventual job search.
Make sure you explain all answers in detail and avoid generalities.
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title page: Remember the running head and title in all capital letters.
- Abstract: This is a summary of your paper, not an introduction. Begin writing in third-person voice.
- Body: The body of your paper begins on the page following the title page and abstract page, and it must be double-spaced between paragraphs. The typeface should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics except as required for APA level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 3-4 pages. In-text academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- Reference page: References that align with your in-text academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hang indention, italics, and upper- and lower-case usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the reference page is not a bibliography, but it is a further listing of the abbreviated in-text citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-text citation.