For this Discussion, you will analyze a health-related scenario to determine how differences in health literacy levels may affect the success of a public health outreach program. In addition, you will consider the appropriateness of the outreach material from a cultural awareness standpoint, and how you might apply the lessons learned from the scenario to improve additional outreach efforts.
With these thoughts in mind:
Consider the following scenario:
- You are a public health or healthcare administration professional charged with implementing a new outreach program for colorectal cancer in an urban population. You are handed materials and protocols used in a previous outreach program targeting college-educated white adults. Be sure to take into account health literacy levels in your Discussion.
Submit a 3- to 4-paragraph post that includes the following:
- Explain how differences in health literacy levels may affect the success of your outreach program.
- Next, using the concept of culturally competent care covered in this week’s Learning Resources, identify two ways in which the outreach material or protocols may not be appropriate for your population.
- What lessons can you take from this experience with colorectal outreach efforts, and how might you apply these lessons to improving breast cancer screening?
- Refer to the Hasnain, Menon, Ferrans, and Szalacha (2014) article found in this week’s Learning Resources.