HR Mission Statement
You should have a firm grasp on the different types of human resource
values and strategies that are commonplace in the workforce. From this information:
1. Create and briefly describe a fictional large company of your choice. This is your company and it should preferably be in your current or desired future industry. This company and the HR mission statement you create will be used as a foundation for future assignments in this course.
2. Compare and contrast the below sample mission statements. Evaluate them for overall effectiveness.
3. Use your analysis to write your own HR mission statement for your fictional company.
Consider the following questions when evaluating and formulating your mission statement:
- Why does your HR function exist? What do you want for your customers and how can HR provide that?
- Who are your customers and what can you do for them that will enrich their lives and contribute to their success, both present and future?
- What image of your function do you want to convey internally and externally? Customers, employees and the public will all have perceptions of your company. How will HR help create the desired picture?
- What level of service do you provide to employees and the company? Don’t be vague; define what will make your service extraordinary.
- What kind of relationships will your HR function maintain with customers? Every company function is in partnership with its customers. When you succeed, so do they.
- What underlying philosophies or values guided your responses to the previous questions? Some mission statements choose to list these separately (as core values or vision). Writing them down clarifies the “why” behind your mission.
- Does your HR function’s mission statement describe and support what your company will do and why it will do it (the company’s core values)?
Sample 1: Human Resources Mission Statement
Our mission is to treat each person as a valued customer while contributing positively to the bottom line of [Company
Name] through comprehensive programming that displays a thorough understanding of all aspects of the human
resources profession, including proactive involvement in areas of legal compliance and service that displays an
enthusiastic interest in the lives of others.
We will continually develop our own repertoire of skills and maintain a balance between our personal and professional
There is a minimum requirement of 500 words for this assignment. Any sources used, including the textbook, must be
referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations in APA format.