There are many contemporary issues in corrections that are topics of ongoing debates in fields of penology, criminology, and corrections administration. Some of the cases regarding these issues have made it to the Supreme Court, whereas others have not. In this assignment, you will research the following issue in corrections today and provide information on the viewpoints from the different sides of the debate. The issue is as follows:
- Three-way calls
For your assigned contemporary corrections issue, answer the following questions:
- What court cases involved this issue?
- What were the decisions of the lower courts?
- Did any of the cases make it to the Supreme Court?
- If so, what was the Supreme Court decision?
- If not, is the case still active? Explain.
- What is the general opinion that society seems to have with regard to this issue?
- Have any organizations opposed to the court decisions made progress with regard to prisoners’ rights?
- How do you foresee the outcome of the debate regarding the issue?
- Reference all sources using APA style, and submit your file for review by the rest of your group members. (This part should be submitted on a Word document)
CREATE YOUR POWER POINT PRESENTATION
- In addition to the information above….Address each issue by answering the following:
- What steps can corrections officials take to resolve the issue?
- What are the responsibilities of corrections officials?
- If there is no clear resolution, what precautions can corrections officials take to avoid violating prisoners’ constitutional rights?
- Reference all sources using APA style.
- Make sure PowerPoint Presentation includes information from Part 1 and 2; include speaker notes, at least 12 slides.