For the Case Assignments for this course, we will analyze the transformation that the Medicaid offices in NYC went through in the early to mid-2000s when they were found to be “failing.” To do this, Medicaid enlisted the help of a consulting firm to chart a course through change.
For this Case Assignment, you will analyze this change at the Medicaid NYC offices using the McKinsey 7S Model.
Isett, K. R., Glied, S. A., Sparer, M. S., & Brown, L. D. (2013). When Change Becomes Transformation. Public Management Review, 15(1), 1-17. doi:10.1080/14719037.2012.686230
Note: You will need to do additional research on the Medicaid offices in NYC to be able to complete this assignment.
Drawing on the material in the required and background reading, prepare a 5-6 page paper (not including cover and reference pages) in which you:
- Analyze the Medicaid Case Study using the McKinsey 7S Model.
- What limitations does the model have (if any), and how did they manifest in this particular situation? What should be done to ensure that when using it they do not impact your analysis / change project?
Keys to the Assignment
The key aspects of this assignment that should be covered in your paper include:
- Analyze the case study using the McKinsey 7S model framework.
- Thoroughly examine the seven key areas of the model.
- Identify in which box each piece of data that you find in the case study relates, and justify why.
- Discuss the limitations of the model in applying it to this case and what you would do to overcome / mitigate it/them.