This assignment is based on watching a movie (titles are at the bottom) and answering questions in an essay.
This week you will complete your “Psychological Disorders and the
Movies” paper. For this assignment, you will watch one of the movies
listed below and discuss the main characters and/or plot line in terms
of psychological disorders and/or treatment (Some of the movies portray
several characters struggling with a disorder; you need to focus only on
the one that most interests you).
In your analysis paper, you must analyze the movie and create a
cohesive response that addresses the following questions (do not answer
the questions in numerical order, create a paper that addresses all the
- What psychological disorder was illustrated in this film? Did the person meet the criteria for “abnormal” in this portrayal?
- What are the typical symptoms and behaviors of an individual with this disorder?
- What symptoms of mental illness did you see in the movie? After
considering typical symptoms and behaviors for this disorder, determine
the extent to which you believe this was a realistic portrayal of this
- Were any causal factors for the character’s disorder suggested in the film? If so, which ones?
- What types of treatment, if any, did the person in the film receive?
Provide specific examples. Based on what you’ve learned, is this form
typical for individuals with this disorder? Why or why not?
- What impact did the person’s disorder have on others in his/her
life? Do you think the impact was realistically portrayed? Why or why
- After viewing the movie, what do you think it would be like to live with this mental illness?
- What was your overall reaction to the movie and how mental illness was portrayed?
Movie Options (or you can select a different movie with prior approval):
- A Beautiful Mind (Psychosis)
- As Good As It Gets (Anxiety Disorder)
- Benny and Joon (Psychosis)
- Clean and Sober (Subst Related Disorder)
- The Deer Hunter (Stress Disorder)
- The Fisher King (Variety of Disorders)
- Gia (Substance Related / Mood Disorder)
- Girl Interrupted (Variety of Disorders)
- Off the Map (Mood Disorder)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Variety of Disorders)
- Ordinary People (Mood Disorder)
- Rachel at the Wedding (Substance Related Disorders)
- Sybil (Stress Disorder)
- Three Faces of Eve (Stress Disorder)
- Transamerica (Gender Identity Disorder)
- Twenty-eight Days w/ Sandra Bullock (Substance Related Disorders)
- What about Bob? (Anxiety Disorder)
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
- 2000-2500 words (not counting title or reference page)
- Formatted in APA style; must include title and reference page (you do not need an abstract)
- Minimum of 3 references related to the targeted psychological disorder