Describe the personal and professional qualities needed in the corporate work environment
Develop and present a career plan and professional portfolio
Explain current theories and developments in professional business development
Analyze changes in the labor market relative to skills needed by employers
Evaluate the role of lifelong learning and continuous professional development in career outcomes
Evaluate personal career readiness, decision-making, and self-marketing skills.
Develop a professional job search strategy incorporating research of companies or industries
It is estimated that hiring organizations only spend 90 seconds scanning a resume before determining whether it’s worth looking at further. As such the successful job applicant must make sure their resumes are designed to fit the job for which they are applying. “One size fits all” is no longer applicable to resumes. Bland and general also no longer apply as the information in resumes must be written using action verbs, and identify accomplishments and achievements rather than simply describe previously held positions and responsibilities.
There are three basic types of resumes:
- Chronological, and
- Mixed (hybrid)
Oftentimes, CVs (curriculum vitaes) may be required.
Using the Library and internet, conduct research on each type of resume and a CV. For this assignment explain:
- The purpose for each type of resume, how they differ, and when you personally would use each type or resume or CV (prepare a separate paragraph describing each and how you would use each).
- Identify the primary type of resume and/or CV you expect to use in your job search and career progression.
- Explain how often a resume and/or CV should be updated (support your answer).
- Choose 1 or 2:
- If you have a resume and/or CV, are you comfortable with the format and the information contained within it? If not, when do you think you should start revising and preparing your resume and/or CV?
- If you don’t currently have a resume and/or CV, explain why. Then identify at what point you should start drafting and preparing a resume and/or CV for your eventual job search.
Make sure you explain all answers in detail and avoid generalities.
You are encouraged to use the Career Resources available in the virtual campus for resume creation and revision.
Optimal Resume is one resource available to you that offers resume-building services and many other job search resources.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title page: Remember the running head and title in all capital letters.
- Abstract: This is a summary of your paper, not an introduction. Begin writing in third-person voice.
- Body: The body of your paper begins on the page following the title page and abstract page, and it must be double-spaced between paragraphs. The typeface should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics except as required for APA level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 3-4 pages. In-text academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- Reference page: References that align with your in-text academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hang indention, italics, and upper- and lower-case usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the reference page is not a bibliography, but it is a further listing of the abbreviated in-text citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-text citation.
|Deliverable requirements addressed; understanding of material and writer’s message and intent are clear.||
|Scholarly research which supports writer’s position is properly acknowledged and cited direct quotations may not exceed 10% of the word count of the body of the assignment deliverable (excluded title page, abstract, or table of contents if used, tables, exhibits, appendices, and reference page(s). Inclusion of plagiarized content will not be tolerated and may result in adverse academic consequences.||
|Critical thinking: Position is well justified; logical flow; examples||
|Structure: Includes introduction and conclusion; proper paragraph format and reads as a polished, academic paper or professional presentation, as appropriate for the required assignment deliverable||
|Mechanical: No spelling, grammatical or punctuation errors||
|APA: Deliverable is cited properly according to the APA Publication Manual (6th ed.)|