Art often supports the traditional social and political order, but sometimes art (and artists) challenge the status quo with new forms or old forms presented in new ways. At times, art supports new political orders at the expense of challenging old ones. Art has a major role in human societies with psychological, social, religious, political and educational functions. These functions can be seen or heard in the art piece, and some forms of art have more than one function. In this assignment, the student will explore those functions to see how they are represented in specific pieces of art. Visit one of the approved museums in person – check to make sure there is an exhibit currently open to the public. Peruse the collection to locate one object you find the most interesting and write an essay detailing the criteria listed below. Attach ALL of your write-ups as a single file.
1. Write a detailed description of the art piece, including the title and artist’s identity.
2. List the object’s form, materials, whether it is realistic or abstract, and its symbolic elements.
3. Describe the function of the object in your own words.
4. Complete an analysis of the connection between the appearance (form, materials, symbolism) of the object and its function.
5. Explain your personal, emotional, response to the object (why you found it to be so exciting).