In this discussion activity, address the following items in your primary, original posting:
- Membership in unions seems to be on the decline, even as aviation grows globally. Identify two existing unions within the aviation industry and compare and contrast the two unions. Determine the effectiveness of each union and state if you would be likely to join the particular union, explain why or why not. Support your position with supporting research.
- Discuss membership trends in aviation unions and where you think the demographics of unions will be in the next decade.
- Include at least one appropriate, accurately documented in-text citation from the textbook and any other source of your choosing from the Hunt Library or Internet.
Read the following resources to increase your understanding of cultural diversity within the aviation industry. The first three are general information about the function of unions. The last two are reports and only certain parts are required reading for the assignments, but the rest of the two reports may supplement all assignments from this time forward.
From the Web:
- Unions and Wages in the US Airline Industry (Links to an external site.)(PDF): This paper is by Barry Hirsch, 2007. This article looks at the critical role that labor unions play in the airline industry.
- The Future of Unions (Links to an external site.)(PDF): This 2005 SHRM article discusses unions in areas of the global economy, union development, union decline, and political implications.
- Singapore Airlines Staff Union: (Links to an external site.) Explore this site for an example of an airline union.
- Global Economy Poses Challenges for Labor Movements Worldwide (Links to an external site.) (PDF): This 2008 journal article discusses the current challenges of the labor movement.
- Source Website: Digital Commons ILR Cornell University