READ AND ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS: The Deserving Poor_Moffitt_2015 ( WILL BE ATTACHED IN FILE)
1. In the article, The Deserving Poor, The Family, and the U.S. Welfare System, Robert Moffitt states, “The modern welfare state in the United States was begun in the depths of the Great Depression when Congress passed, and the President Roosevelt signed, the Social Security Act of 1935” (p.731). This act created three programs. In 50 words or more, please describe each program.
2. According to the author, Robert Moffitt, “After the creation of the three programs in the Social Security Act as well as the SSDI program, little development in the transfer system occurred until the 1960s. The 1960s and early 1970s are widely recognized as a period of major expansion of government social welfare programs” (p. 732). In 50 words or more, list and describe the 6 Great Expansion programs.
3. According to the author, Mr. Moffitt, what is the largest means-tested program in the U.S and has this changed since he published the article in 2015? This will require you to do some research on your own.
4. According to the author, “The growing negative attitudes toward the AFDC program that contributed to the 1996 reform were partly a reflection of the changing nature of its caseloads, from one composed primarily of widows to one composed primarily of never-married mothers” (p. 746). In 50 words or more, describe the 1996 reform (from AFDC to TANF), under President Clinton, and state if you agree or disagree with this reform and why?
5. On page 745, the author talks about the deserving poor. In the eyes of the American voter, who are the deserving poor?
6. In 50 words or more, if you had a magic wand, who would you make the deserving poor and why? In other words, how would you re-create the welfare system in the United States?
READ AND ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS: The Deserving Poor_Moffitt_2015 ( WILL BE ATTACHED IN FILE) 1. In the article, The Deserving Poor, The Family, and the U.S. Welfare System, Robert Moffitt
PART 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5v-DmXUvcM WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEO AND ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS Poverty By America by Matthew Desmond Matthew Desmond said in his interview – “… in a nutshell, there is so much poverty in America, not inspite of our wealth but because of it, some lives are made small so that others may grow.” He goes on the let us know some of those examples. What are your thoughts? Share in 50 words what the poverty state in America is and why. What are your thoughts Matthew Desmond implied with his examples said wealthier people get more free money than poorer people do? I noticed in a many reactions the response to who receives government assistance is ” they are abusing the system” and there should be stricter rules for qualifed citizens. How does this interview with Matthew Desmond compare to a previous article about the “deserving poor”? Can we be displeased with the welfare system and the people who are being told they are abusing it, without looking at the larger macrosystems in the US that directly and indirectly impact this popultion using the welfare system? After listening to Mattew Desmond, do you agree that larger wealthier systems could help solve the welfare issues in America? Do you Agree or Disagre with the statement “grandparents had careers, but this generation has gigs”? What are your overall thoughts about this interview, using your critical thinking? List 5 takeaways from this interview (does not need to be 50 words)