Reading Response #2: Comparing/Contrasting Stories with Similar Themes
For this response, you will compare and contrast one pair of stories recently discussed:
1) you will select to either discuss a) “A&P” and “Araby” or b) “The Lesson” and “Everyday Use.”
2) specify how they are similar and different from each other at the beginning of your response (in a thesis summarizing your response): “While x and y share similar traits such as _____, ______, and _______, ultimately they take differing views on __________; x is bleaker in its presentation while y is more humorous.”
This should (hopefully) be easier than reading response 1 because you have practice doing it in addition to each story pair having obvious similarities. Therefore, you will likely need to focus on their differences when doing your analysis. For example, how do “A&P” and “Araby” differ in illustrating a boy’s coming of age? How do “The Lesson” and “Everyday Use” represent the benefits or drawbacks of education?
3) illustrate their similarities by quoting and analyzing sections of each text
4) illustrate their differences by quoting and analyzing sections of each text
5) conclude by reiterating how each story presents its subject matter