History Discussion Post:
As we approach the end of what has been a very long semester, let’s finish some final discussion questions.
1) Watch this video on attempts to bring about government regulation of music:
- Do you see any parallels between this and current events in the US?
- Who, if anyone, has a responsibility to protect children from harm?
- How do competing definitions of what constitutes “harm” complicate this issue?
2) Consider the following statement: “It is America’s responsibility to protect other countries from military threats.”
- To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- What are the consequences of your position for domestic American politics?
3) Mills has argued that the US, for the most part, is a democracy in name only.
- To what extent do you agree or disagree with his position?
- What parts of his argumentation, across The Power Elite, do you find most persuasive or least credible?
Where the text references Mills or The Power Elite please know that he is the author of The Power Elite and reference the text as needed.
Please label numbers 1, 2 and 3 with the responses in a paragraph minimum each.