Take some time to observe your local environment, noting the types of species you see. This may include animals, insects, and plants… both wild and introduced. Do not overlook organisms because they are common—they are part of your local environment, too. What about grasses in yards? Trees? Even extremely urbanized environments support life—do you see ants? Pigeons?
Supplement your own observations with online research using credible sources; you might also visit a local nature center or park to view exhibits or talk with an educator or ranger there.
Describe the impact human development has had on biodiversity in your area and consider the following:
- What are some examples of prevalent species in your area?
- Do they normally occur here or were they introduced?
- What is their interaction with humans?
- What types of species would naturally occur in your region?
- Are many of them still around
No APA Format
Citations and references required