Can I get the questions answered at the end of each case study for
Chapter 2: Dell Inc
Chapter 6: One bad apple and thousands of headaches
Chapter 12: La Bamba bakeries
Case 1: Dell, Inc. – Push or Pull?
1. Why does the direct sales model that worked so well in the past no longer work these days?
2. Does the simultaneous use of multiple sales/distribution channels (e.g., direct online sales and sales through retail stores) create a channel conflict?
3. What are the potential problems associated with traditional retail sales?
4. What managerial changes have to be made to regain market share and become a global leader of the PC industry?
5. How can you make Dell’s supply chain more resilient than ever before?
Case 2: One Bad Apple and Thousands of Headaches
Step into Pedro Lopez’s shoes and list a number of next steps you need to take to resolve the current problems.
1. What do you plan to do tomorrow?
2. If Carlos shows up, what will you say to him? Can you articulate to Carlos which of his actions and words are causing problems for the company? (If so, please specify.) Is it a good idea for you to ask Carlos why he said the things and acted the way he did? (If so, why? If not, why not?) With your best effort, if Carlos still slides through, what would you then do?
3. What do you suggest to prevent the recurrence of situations such as this?
4. Why do you think this incident took place? What mistakes do you think were made in hiring and treating a troublemaker such as Carlos?
5. What company policies (e.g., hiring policy, performance standards) should be developed, changed, or reviewed?
Case 3: La Bamba Bakeries
1. How can you evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the LBB’s DSD distribution system? Why do you think the DSD distribution system works well for LBB?
2. What can be the key performance indicators (KPIs) in the bakery industry? (Be as specific as possible.)
3. What can be the right supply chain performance measurement tool for LBB and its supply chain partners (e.g., retailers)? (Be as specific as possible and explain why it is appropriate.)
4. What may be the most important challenges of developing LBB’s supply chain performance metrics? (List at least three potential challenges and explain how to deal with these challenges.)
5. From the strategic perspective, what may be the best way to sustain LBB’s competitive edge against its rivals?