Assignment 1: LASA 2 – Analysis of Real Merger/Acquisition Cases
Write a review comparing the two unsuccessful mergers/acquisitions you found. Address the following questions for each of the mergers/acquisitions you chose:
- What was the motive behind the merger/acquisition? What internal and external factors impacted the merger/acquisition decision? Use specific examples to justify your response.
- Which of the two unsuccessful merger/acquisitions you reviewed held the most risk of not working from the onset? Why? Give examples.
- Did either company use metrics during the merger/acquisition process to measure their progress? Describe and explain at least two additional metrics which could have been used by each company in monitoring their progress during the M&A process.
Read the following article:
What makes a merger successful by Paul Walker and David Hanna
which describes a successful merger. Comment on the following:
- What research was conducted by both CEO’s on the other business before the merger? Why was this important?
- What management strengths and business process expertise did the companies demonstrate that helped make the merger successful?
- What role did the vision statement play in the success? Why is it important to have a vision statement?
- Compare the successful merger to one of the unsuccessful mergers you found. What three actions did Sage and State of the Art do that the unsuccessful merger did not do or did not do well?
- Make sure to include at least 3 outside resources, one of which may be your text, to justify your suggestions. Your report should be professional and directed toward middle management.
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria
Described the motive for each of two selected mergers/acquisitions and the internal and/or external factors which impacted the M& A decision.
Gave valid examples of the risks one of the selected companies took that were more serious than the other selected company.
Named two metrics that could have been used to measure the success/failure of the merger process.
Described the research the CEO’s of the successful merger conducted prior to the merger and its importance.
Described the management strength and business process expertise of both companies (successful merger) that enabled the success of the merger.
Discussed role of vision statement in making a merger successful.
Described and explained three actions taken by the successful merger that the unsuccessful mergers did not take that might have helped in the merger process.
(8 points): Tone, audience, and word choice
(16 points): Introduction, transitions, and conclusion
Usage and Mechanics
(16 points): Grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
(24 points): In text citations and references, paraphrasing, and appropriate use of quotations and other elements of style