- Choose one pop-culture hero, superhero or villain, and identify one ethical issue this figure typically has to tackle.
Then explain how your pop figure might solve the same ethical issue from at least 6 different ethical theories we have covered thus far. Make sure your ethical issue or problem is complicated enough for you to apply each ethical theory and to allow enough detailed analysis of the issue.Be sure to draw upon six of the nine theories we have covered thus far:
- Virtue Ethics
- Utilitarianism (Consequentialism, Teleology)
- Kantian Ethics (Deontology)
- Feminist Ethics
- Care Ethics
- Imagine and include what might be the actions, thoughts, or words the superhero could perform or utter from each particular ethical stance. Every slide should have a specific quote from the hero/heroine and an explanation of how this relates to the corresponding theory.
- What might be the consequences or aftermath of acting from each particular stance for your chosen pop figure?
- Don’t forget to include this, along with a variety of unique and colorful graphics for each slide. (*OPTIONAL I CAN DO THIS AFTER*)
- Citations and References: You should have citations on every slide (Author, Date) for the definition of each theory, for your quotes, and also a reference slide at the end.
For example, you might choose the topic of whether a superwomen should kill villains. We had discussed in Module 2 how most superheroes/heroines are deontologists, and almost never opt to break their moral code, regardless of the consequences. In the comic book story of Wonder Woman, although she is usually a deontologist, she does kill the villain Max Lord, essentially undermining the classic superhero/heroine approach of merely apprehending a villain. You would then identify 6 different ethical theories and analyze how the issue of killing villains would play out given each theory.
Writing and Presentation Reminders:
- Create a minimum of a ten-slide PowerPoint with colorful graphics and easy-to-read font on each slide.
- Logically organize your ideas (you should first identify how the figure typically responds to the issue and what ethical theory typically dominates this figure’s reactions.
- Ensure that the analysis and description of each of the various ethical theories are accurate.
- Include one direct, substantial quotation from each our readings for each of the different ethical theories you’re explaining (*I WILL GO THROUGH AND DO THIS PART AFTER*)
- Be sure to include an APA reference page at the end.